What should your company look for in a recruitment agency?
Carrying out recruitment is no easy task, especially if your company operates within specialised sectors. Firstly, there's the issue of knowing where to look for quality candidates, as well as being able to separate out the ones who are most suited to a role.
This is where the expertise of a recruitment agency can prove invaluable. There are few companies that will profess to knowing the ins and outs of how to take on the right staff, which is where having a recruiter on your side can offer real value.
However, it's important to bear in mind that not all recruitment agencies are created equal. Some will make claims that simply don't stack up in reality, while others might put their own needs above your own. This is why you'll need to look for key features when choosing your agency, to ensure your search for quality staff always gets off on the right foot.
Understanding the role of a recruiter
It helps to understand exactly what it is that a recruitment agency offers. They'll ultimately act as an intermediary between your organisation and potential candidates, taking some of the legwork out of finding people for the role you are advertising.
You'll be expected to send a job description, before the agency gets to work on finding someone who fits the bill. Anyone who fits the criteria will be put forward for your consideration, giving you the final say on who ends up working for your organisation.
An agency should have an in-depth knowledge of the industry they serve. If they don't, there's every chance you will be left with candidates who simply aren't up to the task, wasting you both time and money.
Finding a recruitment agency that meets your needs
With this in mind, you now need to set to work on selecting an agency that will go above and beyond the call of duty to find your next member of staff.
- Ethical and professional approach. Recruitment can be a sensitive business, which is why you need an agency that will deal with your search in a way that's both ethical and professional. Look for an agency that is a member of the Recruitment & Consulting Services Association. This will require them to follow a strict code of conduct, which encompasses everything from maintaining confidentiality through to acting honestly throughout all proceedings.
- Maintaining strong relationships. The relationship between your company and a recruitment agency needs to be strong if you're going to see the results you want. This means being open in your discussions and knowing that your ideas and requirements are being taken on board. An agency should be willing to keep you in the loop right from the start, so you know your needs are being dealt with accordingly.
- Use of psychometric testing. Many firms now like to use psychometric testing as part of the recruitment process, as it enables them to discover more about potential employees. It can give a valuable insight into everything from personality traits to their industry-specific capabilities, so is well worth taking a closer look at when choosing your agency.
- Evidence of repeat business. A good recruiter will be able to show that their customers keep coming back time and time again. After all, companies have a choice when deciding who to trust with their recruitment needs, so if the service isn't up to standard, they'll simply vote with their feet.
- Specialist knowledge of your industry. It can really pay off to enlist the services of a recruitment agency that specialises in your particular sector. This will increase the chances of finding someone who fits the criteria and who has the necessary skills to carry out the job in question. You should know as soon as you speak to an agency whether they're in the know - ask if they regularly participate in sector-specific training and seminars for an idea of just how committed they are.
- A fair pricing policy. Some recruiters will expect you to pay a large part of their fee upfront - but what if they fail to deliver? Make sure you find an agency that offers a fair pricing structure, so you know exactly how much you'll pay - and when you will need to pay it.
- Willingness to go the extra mile. No recruitment agency should admit defeat - there's sure to be a quality candidate out there who will fit the criteria you have provided. The search might not always be easy, but with the right recruiter on your side, you should be safe in the knowledge you'll eventually end up with the right recruit.
Go in search of specialised recruitment services
If you're looking for a recruitment agency that meets all the above criteria, then look no further than Kona & Co. We work across a host of sectors ranging from architecture to construction, project management to civil engineering, helping team clients up with their ideal candidates.
Some of these professions are especially difficult to fill, which is why our services are so invaluable to many companies.
Take construction estimators as an example. Government figures show that less than half of vacancies for this role are filled, simply because employers don't attract any suitable applicants when advertising new roles.
The situation wasn't much better for quantity surveyors, as data shows the majority of unfilled vacancies are for senior roles where a minimum of five years' experience is needed. Applicants may not have had enough years in the trade, or couldn't agree on terms of employment with their new company.
The upshot is that construction sectors as a whole are typically difficult to find people for.
The Kona & Co difference
Rather than take your chances on finding staff, Kona & Co can work on your behalf using the criteria you give us. Every client is treated to a personalised and tailored service, which is something many other agencies can't lay claim to.
If your company wants to get its recruitment off on the right foot every time, get in touch to see how Kona & Co can lend a hand.